Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK






I have been thinking a lot about community service.  I was trying to think of a way to teach my kids about the value in doing service for others.  Martin Luther King day proved to be the perfect opportunity.  I had read that Burlington Coat Factory was holding a coat drive called "One Warm Coat" and my idea was born.  This morning I had my kids go outside in just their clothes for a moment to feel what it would be like to not have a warm coat to wear in the winter.  Then I talked to them about how some children were not lucky enough to have a coat to wear.  I told them that we were going to collect all of the change we could find in our house and use it to buy a coat for someone in need. We have a tin in the kitchen we use to collect change and the kids raided their piggy banks to add to the fund.  We even found some change on my husband's dresser. It was a joint effort. We took the coins to a local grocery store and traded them in for dollars.  We had $27!  We walked down to Burlington Coat Factory.  The kids picked out a coat, purchased it and placed it in the box for the charity.  I was so proud of my children, especially my oldest, who gave all but one coin from her piggy bank.  It is very cold in Connecticut today and all three of my children have bad coughs so we   are going to spend the rest of the day in our pajamas playing games, doing puzzles, and watching movies. May your day be as meaningful and rich as ours.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful and caring idea! Thank you for sharing it. I was at a loss as what to do today, but now I will be much better prepared for next year! I love the simple, yet powerful lesson.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It!